entecost was a singular day in the life of the disciples, fifty days after Jesus’ resurrection. And yet Pentecost is so much more than a single event on a single day. Pentecost continues in the life of the body of Christ, in your life and mine. The Spirit came on that first Pentecost, and the Spirit still continues to fill, to call, and to send.
Pentecost Life is a Global Strategy initiative to encourage churches and individuals globally toward missional involvement. [Read More]
$50 in 50 days. That is the Pentecost Challenge. Would you help new missionaries reach the field more quickly? That’s $1 per day for each of the 50 days between Easter and Pentecost. Whatever your contribution, you’ll help new missionaries get to the field more quickly. Plans are in the works to also begin a grant program to help individuals outside of North America who are called to serve in ministry cross-culturally.
Resources for You
Click the headings below to see the available resources.
- Overview of Pentecost Life in Prezi format
- Video Introduction to Pentecost Life
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pentecost Life Art (with verse) (jpg)
- Pentecost Life Art (without verse) (jpg)
- Burst Background for Presentations (jpg) Choose your size: [800×600] [1024×768] [1280×1024] [3481×2093]
- Swirl Background for Presentations (jpg) Choose your size: [800×600] [1024×768] [1280×1024] [2560×1440]
- Theology for Disciples, by Gilbert Stafford (especially chapter 19)
- Radical, by David Platt
- Hearing God, by Dallas Willard
- Open to the Spirit: God in Us, God With Us, God Transforming Us, by Scot McKnight (An excerpt of McKnight’s book was published as “How the Spirit Sets Us Up for Holiness” in Christianity Today.)
- Celebration of Discipline, by Richard Foster
- At Pentecost, by Charles Ludwig
- Deeper Experiences of Famous Christians, by James Gilchrist Lawson
- Selected quotations about Pentecost (PDF)
- Pentecost Life Teaser/Sermon Intro
- Introduction to Pentecost Life
- Kids Riff on the Meaning of Pentecost
- The Bible Project: The Holy Spirit
- The Bible Project: Acts Ch. 1-7
- The Bible Project: Read Scripture: Acts Ch. 1-12
- The Skit Guys: Pentecost (purchase)
- The Skit Guys: Pentecost: The Church Is Born (purchase)
- The Skit Guys: The Story of Pentecost (purchase)
- Daily Scripture Readings (PDF)
- Meditation on Pentecost (PDF)
Listen to John Johnson read the Meditation on PentecostUpdate Required
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
- Meditation: Dry Bones and Breath-filled Lives (PDF)
- Meditation: Forgotten Pentecost (PDF)
- Meditation: And the Wind Blows Again (PDF)
- Study on Living by the Spirit: A Purified Life (PDF)
Pentecost Life is a Global Strategy initiative to encourage churches and individuals globally toward cross-cultural missional involvement. There are two prongs to this initiative: One is to encourage churches to pursue a Spirit-driven engagement in missions. The second component is an offering that helps to underwrite the support of new missionaries.
For churches who participate, we offer educational resources about the historical significance of Pentecost as well as how the Holy Spirit continues to move throughout the church of God globally. This include sermon starters, videos, and other helpful curricula. Eventually, it will also include testimonies about the Holy Spirit from missionaries and national leaders.
Besides the educational pieces, we are encouraging churches to give to missions through supporting our $50 in 50 days challenge. This is an offering on Pentecost Sunday to support the ongoing, sending work of the Church of God. Churches, Sunday school classes, or small groups may encourage their individuals to set aside $1 a day to give $50 as a Pentecost offering; other churches may give from their budget. The money funds new Global Strategy missionaries and in future years will equip non-Americans to engage in cross-cultural ministry.
The offering will go toward the Preparers of the Path fund, which supports missionaries. Preparers of the Path funds have historically been given to missionaries as they go on the field for the first time, but we hope to use it to support all our missionaries. In future years we plan to divide the offering between Preparers of the Path and a grant program that will be used to encourage non-Americans to engage in cross-cultural ministry.
The funds will go to Preparers of the Path, which supports all missionaries. Unlike other campaigns, this will not support specific missionaries, but all missionaries benefit
Absolutely! If you would prefer giving an extra bump to your specific missionaries that is fine as well. Just make sure you clarify that when you send in the funds.
No. The themes and material fit that time, but we are encouraging people to see Pentecost as a way of life, so it is something that could be used any time of the year
No, we welcome church participation in the ways that best fit your community
No. The educational resources are for any church to use.
No. This is not a replacement of Faith Promise. We encourage churches to do this in addition.
Beginning in 2019, we have begun to offer curricula for various age/stages of the church. Currently, there are lesson series and resources for churches to use with adults and children.
This is not connected with CBO. This more of a replacement for the former Easter/Spring offerings that have been done by Church of God Ministries. But the focus is not simply on raising funds; it’s an engagement initiative aimed at educating the church and involving them in cross-cultural work however that is expressed in their community.
The official period is set for the fifty days beginning on Easter Sunday, leading up to Pentecost Sunday, June 9, 2019. Churches and individuals may participate in the entire period of Pentecost or just focus on Pentecost Sunday. These themes and resources may also be used throughout the year.
Hymns and Contemporary Songs
Songs followed by a number in parentheses can be found in Worship the Lord: Hymnal of the Church of God (Warner Press, 1989). The number in parentheses corresponds to the number in the hymnal.
- “Breathe on Me Breath of God,” by Alanna Story (Chord Chart)
- “Great Are You Lord,” by All Sons and Daughters (Chord Chart)
- “Holy Spirit You Are Welcome Here,” by Kim Walker Smith (Chord Chart)
- “Build My Life,” by Bethel (Chord Chart)
- “Spirit Holy in Me Dwelling,” by Charles Naylor
- “Holy Spirit, Thou Art Welcome” (Lyrics & Chart) (256)
- “Fill Me with Thy Spirit, Lord” (Lyrics & Music) (269)
- “Where the Spirit of the Lord Is” (Lyrics, Chord Chart, Music) (275)
- “Holy Spirit, Breathe on Me” (276)
- “Fully Alive” (Lyrics & Music) (278)
- “Gracious Spirit, Dwell with Me” (Lyrics) (279)
- “Come, Holy Spirit” (Lyrics & Music) (263)
- “Let the Fire All on Me” (Lyrics & Music) (483)
- “With Thy Spirit Fill Me” (Lyrics) (270)
- “O Day of Joy and Wonder!” (249)
- “Thou, Whose Purpose Is to Kindle” (250)
- “Lord God, the Holy Ghost” (Lyrics & Music) (251)
- “O Breath of Life” (Lyrics & Music) (254)
- “Sweet, Sweet Spirit” (Lyrics, Chart, Music) (257)
- “Surely the Presence of the Lord Is in This Place” (Lyrics & Chart) (Lyrics, Chart, Music) (259)
- “Holy Spirit, Truth Divine” (Lyrics & Music) (260)
- “He Wants His Way in Thee” (Lyrics & Music) (261)
- “Spirit of the Living God” (Lyrics, Chart, Music) (265)
- “Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart” (Words & Music) (266)
- “Spirit Holy” (Lyrics & Music) (267)
- “Come, Holy Spirit, Still My Heart” (268)
- “Open My Eyes That I May See” (Lyrics & Music) (271)
- “Though I May Speak with Bravest Fire” (Lyrics & Music) (273)
Readings from Worship the Lord: Hymnal of the Church of God
- “Catch the Wind, by Ann Smith (280)
- “The Indwelling Holy Spirit,” by Louis Evely (258)
- Starters for sermons and small group discussions (PDF)
- Overview of Pentecost Life in Prezi format
- Selected quotations about Pentecost (PDF)
- See the section of small group resources. These are easily adapted to sermons.
- See also the video and general resource sections.
Pentecost Life Kids! Curriculum A new curriculum has been written by Global Strategy missionaries Heather Webb and Jenny Mihsill focusing on the theme of “Into the Room, Into the Street, Into the World.”
- Lesson 1: Into the Room
- Lesson 2: Into the Street
- Lesson 3: Into the World
- Handout: Mini Booklet
- Handout: Lesson 3 Map
- Handout: Lesson 3 Handout
- Download all files above in a single PDF file
- Audio File: Jesus Is Lord – No English
- Audio File: Jesus Is Lord – English
- Video: Pentecost Life: Jesus Is Lord
- Anticipating Pentecost: A Guided Study of John 14-16 (PDF)
- Passover to Pentecost: Bible Study (PDF)
- Pentecost Boldness: Living in Bold Response to the Gift of God’s Spirit (PDF)
- Pentecost Mission: From the Room to the Street (PDF)
- The “Sent” of Pentecost (PDF)
- A Gifted Life: Bible Study on 1 Corinthians 12 & 14 (PDF)
- Intense Waiting, Inspired Witness: Moving into the Pentecost Life (PDF)