Christian Missionaries from South Africa began working in the Bunyore area of Western Kenya in 1905 and began education on various levels to train church leaders for ministry. In 1922 the Church of God, Anderson, Indiana assumed the mission work.
In 1954 the Missionary Board of the Church of God and the leaders of the Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) began a residential training institution for the preparation of church ministers in Kenya. This training institution became known as Kima Theological College (KTC).
In 1995 the Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) gave the land of Kima Theological College to a new multi-national Board of Directors to begin Kima International School of Theology (KIST), which has been in operation since that time.